Economics of Asthma
Another excellent resource is:
Bahadori K, Doyle-Waters MM, Marra C, et al. Economic burden of asthma: a systematic review. BMC Pulm Med 2009; 9: 24 View
1. Bousquet J, Knani J, Dhivert H, Richard A, Chicoye A, Ware JE Jr, Michel FB: Quality of life in asthma. I. Internal consistency and validity of the SF-36 questionnaire. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1994, 149(2 Pt 1):371-5.
2. Riccioni G, D'Orazio N, Di Ilio C, Menna V, Guagnano MT, la Vecchia R: Quality of Life and clinical symptoms in asthmatic subjects. J Asthma 2004, 41(1):85-9.
3. Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA): Global strategy for asthma management and prevention. 2006 [http://www.ginas thma.com].
4. Masoli M, Fabian D, Holt S, Beasley R, Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) Program: The global burden of asthma: executive summary of the GINA Dissemination Committee report. Allergy 2004, 59(5):469-78.
5. Gergen PJ: Understanding the economic burden of asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001, 107(5 Suppl):S445-S448.
6. Morgan M, Khan DA: Asthma: epidemiology, burden and quality of life. Adv Psychosom Med 2003, 24:1-15.
7. Sennhauser FH, Braun-Fahrlander C, Wildhaber JH: The burden of asthma in children: a European perspective. Paediatr Respir Rev 2005, 6(1):2-7.
8. Woolcock AJ, Bastiampillai SA, Marks GB, Keena VA: The burden of asthma in Australia. Med J Aust 2001, 175(3):141-5.
9. Drummond MF, Jefferson TO: Guidelines for authors and peer reviewers of economic submissions to the BMJ. The BMJ Economic Evaluation Working Party. BMJ 1996, 313(7052):275-83.
10. Birnbaum HG, Berger WE, Greenberg PE, Holland M, Auerbach R, Atkins KM, Wanke LA: Direct and indirect costs of asthma to an employer. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2002, 109(2):264-70.
11. Cisternas MG, Blanc PD, Yen IH, Katz PP, Earnest G, Eisner MD, Shiboski S, Yelin EH: A comprehensive study of the direct and indirect costs of adult asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003, 111(6):1212-8.
12. Kocevar VS, Bisgaard H, Jonsson L, Valovirta E, Kristensen F, Yin DD, Thomas J III: Variations in pediatric asthma hospitalization rates and costs between and within Nordic countries. Chest 2004, 125(5):1680-4.
13. Serra-Batlles J, Plaza V, Morejon E, Comella A, Brugues J: Costs of asthma according to the degree of severity. Eur Respir J 1998, 12(6):1322-6.
14. Smith DH, Malone DC, Lawson KA, Okamoto LJ, Battista C, Saunders WB: A national estimate of the economic costs of asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997, 156(3 Pt 1):787-93.
15. Ungar WJ, Coyte PC, Chapman KR, MacKeigan L: The patient level cost of asthma in adults in south central Ontario. Pharmacy Medication Monitoring Program Advisory Board. Can Respir J
16. Accordini S, Bugiani M, Arossa W, Gerzeli S, Marinoni A, Olivieri M, Pirina P, Carrozzi L, Dallari R, De Togni A, de Marco R: Poor control increases the economic cost of asthma. A multicentre population-based study. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2006, 141(2):189-98.
17. Antonicelli L, Bucca C, Neri M, De Benedetto F, Sabbatani P, Bonifazi F, Eichler HG, Zhang Q, Yin DD: Asthma severity and medical resource utilisation. Eur Respir J 2004, 23(5):723-9.
18. Awadh Behbehani N, Grunfeld A, FitzGerald JM: Health care costs associated with acute asthma: a prospective economic analysis. Can Respir J 1999, 6(6):521-5.
19. Celik GE, Bavbek S, Pasaoglu G, Mungan D, Abadoglu O, Harmanci E, Misirligil Z: Direct medical cost of asthma in Ankara, Turkey. Respiration 2004, 71(6):587-93.
20. Chew FT, Goh DY, Lee BW: The economic cost of asthma in Singapore. Aust N Z J Med 1999, 29(2):228-33.
21. Colice G, Wu EQ, Birnbaum H, Daher M, Marynchenko MB, Varghese S: Healthcare and workloss costs associated with patients with persistent asthma in a privately insured population. J Occup Environ Med 2006, 48(8):794-802.
22. Gendo K, Sullivan SD, Lozano P, Finkelstein JA, Fuhlbrigge A, Weiss KB: Resource costs for asthma-related care among pediatric patients in managed care. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2003, 91(3):251-7.
23. Godard P, Chanez P, Siraudin L, Nicoloyannis N, Duru G: Costs of asthma are correlated with severity: a 1-yr prospective study. Eur Respir J 2002, 19(1):61-7.
24. Grupp-Phelan J, Lozano P, Fishman P: Health care utilization and cost in children with asthma and selected comorbidities. J Asthma 2001, 38(4):363-73.
25. Gupta RS, Bewtra M, Prosser LA, Finkelstein JA: Predictors of hospital charges for children admitted with asthma. Ambul Pediatr 2006, 6(1):15-20.
26. Herjavecz I, Nagy GB, Gyurkovits K, Magyar P, Dobos K, Nagy L, Alemao E, Ben-Joseph R: Cost, morbidity, and control of asthma in Hungary: The Hunair Study. J Asthma 2003, 40(6):673-81.
27. Jansson SA, Ronmark E, Forsberg B, Lofgren C, Lindberg A, Lundback B: The economic consequences of asthma among adults in Sweden. Respir Med 2007, 101(11):2263-70.
28. Kenny P, Lancsar E, Hall J, King M, Chaplin M: The individual and health sector costs of asthma: the first year of a longitudinal study in New South Wales. Aust N Z J Public Health 2005, 29(5):429-35.
29. Krahn MD, Berka C, Langlois P, Detsky AS: Direct and indirect costs of asthma in Canada, 1990. CMAJ 1996, 154(6):821-31.
30. Laforest L, Ernst P, Pietri G, Yin D, Pacheco Y, Bellon G, Kocevar VS, Ganse EV: Asthma-Related Costs Relative to Severity and Control in General Practice. Pediatr Asthma Allergy Immunol 2005, 18(1):36-45.
31. Lai CKW, Kim YY, Kuo SH, Spencer M, Williams AE, on behalf of the Asthma Insights and Reality in Asia Pacific Steering Committee: Cost of asthma in the Asia-Pacific region. Eur Respir Rev 2006, 15(98):10-6.
32. Lin HC, Kao S, Wen HC, Wu CS, Chung CL: Length of stay and costs for asthma patients by hospital characteristics–a fiveyear population-based analysis. J Asthma 2005, 42(7):537-42.
33. Lozano P, Fishman P, Von Korff M, Hecht J: Health care utilization and cost among children with asthma who were enrolled in a health maintenance organization. Pediatrics 1997, 99(6):757-64.
34. Sapra S, Nielsen K, Martin BC: The net cost of asthma to North Carolina Medicaid and the influence of comorbidities that drive asthma costs. J Asthma 2005, 42(6):469-77.
35. Schwenkglenks M, Lowy A, Anderhub H, Szucs TD: Costs of asthma in a cohort of Swiss adults: associations with exacerbation status and severity. Value Health 2003, 6(1):75-83.
36. Stanford R, McLaughlin T, Okamoto LJ: The cost of asthma in the emergency department and hospital. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999, 160(1):211-5.
37. Stempel DA, Hedblom EC, Durcanin-Robbins JF, Sturm LL: Use of a pharmacy and medical claims database to document cost centers for 1993 annual asthma expenditures. Arch Fam Med 1996, 5(1):36-40.
38. Stevens CA, Turner D, Kuehni CE, Couriel JM, Silverman M: The economic impact of preschool asthma and wheeze. Eur Respir J 2003, 21(6):1000-6.
39. Stroupe KT, Gaskins D, Murray MD: Health-care costs of innercity patients with asthma. J Asthma 1999, 36(8):645-55.
40. Sun HL, Kao YH, Lu TH, Chou MC, Lue KH: Health-care utilization and costs in Taiwanese pediatric patients with asthma. Pediatr Int 2007, 49(1):48-52.
41. Toelle BG, Peat JK, Mellis CM, Woolcock AJ: The cost of childhood asthma to Australian families. Pediatr Pulmonol 1995, 19(6):330-5.
42. Ungar WJ, Coyte PC, Pharmacy Medication Monitoring Program Advisory B: Prospective study of the patient-level cost of asthma care in children. Pediatr Pulmonol 2001, 32(2):101-8.
43. Wang LY, Zhong Y, Wheeler L: Direct and indirect costs of asthma in school-age children. Prev Chronic Dis 2005, 2(1):A11.
44. Meurer JR, Kuhn EM, George V, Yauck JS, Layde PM: Charges for childhood asthma by hospital characteristics. Pediatrics 1998, 102(6):E70.
45. Segal R, Ried LD, Mackowiak J: Cost of asthma illnesses: emergency department visits without admission. Pharm Pract Manag Q 1995, 15(3):72-82.
46. Visitsunthorn N, Durongpisitkul W, Uoonpan S, Jirapongsananuruk O, Vichyanond P: Medical charge of asthma care in admitted Thai children. J Med Assoc Thai 2005, 88(Suppl 8):S16-S20.
47. Mellis CM, Peat JK, Bauman AE, Woolcock AJ: The cost of asthma in New South Wales. Med J Aust 1991, 155(8):522-8.
48. Szucs TD, Anderhub H, Rutishauser M: The economic burden of asthma: direct and indirect costs in Switzerland. Eur Respir J 1999, 13(2):281-6.
49. Weiss KB, Gergen PJ, Hodgson TA: An economic evaluation of asthma in the United States. N Engl J Med 1992, 326(13):862-6.
50. Sorensen L, Weng S, Weng SL, Wulf-Andersen L, Ostergaard D, Bech PG: The cost of asthma in Denmark. Br J Med Econ 1997, 11:103-11.
51. Stock S, Redaelli M, Luengen M, Wendland G, Civello D, Lauterbach KW: Asthma: prevalence and cost of illness. Eur Respir J 2005, 25(1):47-53.
52. Borderias Clau L, Zabaleta Murguionda M, Riesco Miranda JA, Pellicer Ciscar C, Hernandez Hernandez JR, Carrillo Diaz T, Lumbreras Garcia G: [Cost and management of asthma exacerbations in Spanish hospitals (COAX study in hospital services)]. Arch Bronconeumol 2005, 41(6):313-21.
53. Van Ganse E, Laforest L, Pietri G, Boissel JP, Gormand F, Ben-Joseph R, Ernst P: Persistent asthma: disease control, resource utilisation and direct costs. Eur Respir J 2002, 20(2):260-7.
54. Piecoro LT, Potoski M, Talbert JC, Doherty DE: Asthma prevalence, cost, and adherence with expert guidelines on the utilization of health care services and costs in a state Medicaid population. Health Serv Res 2001, 36(2):357-71.
55. Chuesakoolvanich K: Cost of hospitalizing asthma patients in a regional hospital in Thailand. Respirology 2007, 12(3):433-8.
56. Laurier C, Kennedy W, Malo JL, Par M, Labb D, Archambault A: Rate and cost of hospitalizations for asthma in Quebec: An analysis of 1988/89, 1989/90 and 1994/95 data. Chronic Dis Can 1999, 20(2):82-8.
57. Sailly JC, Lenne X, Bercez C, Lebrun T, Tonnel AB, Tillie-Leblond I: Costs of hospitalization for severe acute asthma of patients not treated according to guidelines and recommendations: French prospective study of 169 cases. Eur J Health Econ 2005, 6:94-101.
58. Weiss KB, Sullivan SD, Lyttle CS: Trends in the cost of illness for asthma in the United States, 1985–1994. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000, 106(3):493-9.
59. Huang ZJ, LaFleur BJ, Chamberlain JM, Guagliardo MF, Joseph JG: Inpatient childhood asthma treatment: relationship of hospital characteristics to length of stay and cost: analyses of New York State discharge data, 1995. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2002, 156(1):67-72.
60. Kiivet RA, Kaur I, Lang A, Aaviksoo A, Nirk L: Costs of asthma treatment in Estonia. Eur J Public Health 2001, 11(1):89-92.
61. Beyhun NE, Cilingiroglu N, Sekerel BE: The cost of childhood asthma and its determinants in Ankara, Turkey. Turk J Pediatr 2007, 49(2):179-88.
62. Neville RG, Hoskins G, Smith B, McCowan C: The economic and human costs of asthma in Scotland. Prim Care Respir J 2003:115-8.
63. Chan PW, Hussain S, Ghani NH, Debruyne JA, Liam CK: The direct cost of treating bronchial asthma in a teaching hospital in Malaysia. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2002, 33(3):600-3.
64. Szucs TD, Anderhub HP, Rutishauser M: Determinants of health care costs and patterns of care of asthmatic patients in Switzerland. Schweiz Med Wochenschr 2000, 130(9):305-13.
65. Korhonen K, Reijonen TM, Remes K, Malmstrom K, Klaukka T, Korppi M: Reasons for and costs of hospitalization for pediatric asthma: a prospective 1-year follow-up in a populationbased setting. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2001, 12(6):331-8.
66. Lane S, Molina J, Plusa T: An international observational prospective study to determine the cost of asthma exacerbations (COAX). Respir Med 2006, 100(3):434-50.
67. Li JT, Xakellis G, Edell ES, Angstman GL: Concentration of healthcare costs in asthma. Am J Manag Care 1995, 1:137-40.
68. Plaza V, Serra-Batlles J, Ferrer M, Morejon E: Quality of life and economic features in elderly asthmatics. Respiration 2000, 67(1):65-70.
69. Hoskins G, McCowan C, Neville RG, Thomas GE, Smith B, Silverman S: Risk factors and costs associated with an asthma attack. Thorax 2000, 55(1):19-24.
70. Lozano P, Sullivan SD, Smith DH, Weiss KB: The economic burden of asthma in US children: estimates from the National Medical Expenditure Survey. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1999, 104(5):957-63.
71. Valovirta E, Kocevar VS, Kaila M, Kajosaari M, Koivikko A, Korhonen K, Linna O, Makela M, Remes K, Ben-Joseph RH: Inpatient resource utilisation in younger (2–5 yrs) and older (6–14 yrs) asthmatic children in Finland. Eur Respir J 2002, 20(2):397-402.
72. Blainey D, Lomas D, Beale A, Partridge M: The cost of acute asthma–how much is preventable? Health Trends 1990, 22(4):151-3.
73. Armstrong EP, Krueger K, Langley PC: Analysis of asthma-related costs and patterns of resource utilization in a managed-care population. Dis Manag Health Outcomes 2001, 9:161-71.
74. Atherly A, Williams SG, Redd SC: What is the cost of asthma to employers? Drug Benefit Trends 2003, 15:3538-4043.
75. Rico-Mendez FG, Barquera S, Cabrera DA, Escobedo S, Ochoa LG, Massey-Reynaud LF: Bronchial asthma healthcare costs in Mexico: analysis of trends from 1991–1996 with information from the Mexican Institute of Social Security. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2000, 10(6):334-41.